Segment View Set Up, Update and Navigation
Table of Contents
- Video Tutorial
- The Segment View
- How to open the Segment View
- How to import GEDmatch Segment data
- How to update the Segment View
- The trashcan icon
- How to delete the Segment view without starting over
The Segment View
The Segment View shows which segments are shared by which kits. Note: sharing a segment is evidence that these kits may be descended from the same ancestor. However, it is possible that a particular segment has been passed by a more distant ancestor who is the progenitor of numerous lines. None of the matching segments may have descended from same line. Comparing genealogical information is the best way to verify the relationship.
How to open the Segment View
Click on DNA tools in the left side menu. Click on the DNA Kit you wish to see. This opens the List View for that kit. The DNA menu is accessed by clicking on the down arrow inside a blue circle at the upper left of your List View. The first icon is for the List View. The second icon is for the Segment View.
How to import GEDmatch Segment data
Note: You must import your one to many report into the List View before you can import your segments. To import your segments,
1. From the List View, click on the down arrow in the blue circle.
2. Click on the Segment icon.
3. This how you will access the Segment view in the future. For now, it opens a screen where you can import your segments. Follow the directions in the gray instruction box to copy your segments. Click anywhere in the gray instruction box and press Control-V (for PC Users) or Command-V (for Mac users).
How to update the Segment View
After you have updated your List View, you may add new matches to your Segment View. Updating your Segment matches will require a GedMatch Tier 1 plan. Click the down arrow in the blue circle at the upper left corner of the List View. This will open a menu for the rest of the DNA tools. Click on the segment icon to open the Segment View.
- Click on the "+" at the upper right corner of the Segment View.
- Click on the check box if you want to delete existing matches before adding new matches. If this box is left unchecked, new matches will be merged into existing matches. In either case, existing kit notes nad tree assignments will be preserved.
- Click anywhere in the gray instruction box. Then press Control-V (for PC Users) or Command-V (for Mac users) to paste inside the instruction box to copy the updates into your Segment View. The updates will be added to your matches.
The trashcan icon
Pressing on the trashcan icon deletes all your views.
How to delete the Segment View without starting over
Caution: Do not click on the trashcan icon. It will delete your profile and you will have to start over. Follow these directions to delete one View, such as the Segment View, only:
- Click on the "+" in the upper right.This will open a window to upload the new segments.
- Check the box at the bottom of the window to delete all the old kits.
- Follow the directions to import the new Segment file.