Frequently Asked Questions
1. I can't create a tree. What do I do if the "GO" button doesn't work?
When uploading a GEDCOM, the "GO" button will only turn blue when there is enough information to complete the process. Please enter a name for your tree, choose whether this tree will be public or private, and choose how you want create your tree, i.e. "Start with an empty tree," "Import a GEDCOM," or "Import people from FamilySearch." The "GO" button should now be blue. Click on the "Next" button.
2. I can't register. What do I do if the "Next" buttons doesn't work?
When registering, the "Next" button will only turn blue when there is enough information to complete the process. Please enter your first name, last name, email address, username, choose a password and re-enter your password. The "Next" button should now be blue. Click on the "Next" button. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address you entered.
3. How do I print?
4. What Browsers work best with RootsFinder?
RootsFinder works well on most browsers. We support Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, IE 11 and Safari.
5. Can I use RootsFinder on a Mac or a PC?
Both. RootsFinder is a website. It functions equally well on either Mac or PC machines.
6. Can I use special characters for names?
Yes. On Windows you can use the Character Map application to enter your special characters and copy them into RootsFinder. You may also use the following characters @, #, $, %, ^, &, *, !.
7. How do I see descendancy views?
Click on "Tree" in the left side menu. Open the pedigree menu by clicking on the down arrow at the upper left of the pedigree view. Choose the "Descendancy Sunburst," "Descendancy List," or "Ancestors and Descendants."
8. Is there something besides the pedigree view of my tree?
Yes. Click on "Tree" in the left side menu. Open the pedigree menu by clicking on the down arrow at the upper left of the pedigree view. Choose from the "Ancestors Pedigree,""Ancestors Fan Chart," "Ancestors Fractal," ""Ancestors and Descendants,""Descendancy List," or "Descendancy Sunburst" navigational views. Each view has click through navigation to the people in your tree.
9. What does the sideways "s" mean?
It means this person has alternate parents. The system remembers which family you were looking at the last time you opened the tree. So, if you want to make the other set of parents your default view, click on the the sideways "s" and the system will show you this family line next time you login.
10. What about living people in my public tree?
Living people's data is never visible to anyone but the registered owner of the tree and those invited by that user.
11. Ancestor with alternate parents. How do I make one the preferred pedigree view?
When an ancestor has alternate parents, the pedigree view will have a sideways "s" next to the ancestor. When you click on the sideways "s," the other set of parents will appear in the pedigree view. The system will remember which set of parents you last chose for the pedigree view.
12. How do I add media?
To add media:
1. Click on the "+" in the upper right of the media section just under the warnings sections on the right side.
2. Add a profile image by clicking in the profile square, or
3. Add a cover image by clicking in the cover rectangle.